Millions of people have silver fillings and have no problems. Also known as amalgam fillings, these contain a combination of metals that have proven to be effective filling materials for tooth cavities. But over the years, concerns have come to light over the mercury in these types of fillings.
Although amalgams were a popular material in the past, and are still used by many dentists today, I do not place them anymore in my practice. Instead, I use composite tooth-colored fillings (bondings).
- Silver fillings last longer than composite ones, but they can cause crack lines in the tooth, which lead to fractured teeth.
- Composite restorations are bonded to your teeth. When placed with maximum bond strength, these can actually strengthen a weakened tooth. For many patients, an important factor is that they don’t have any of the negatives associated with amalgams. And, since they blend in naturally, they are more esthetically pleasing.
Why else replace my silver filings?
The biggest and most important reason to replace an amalgam or any other filling is because it no longer does what it’s supposed to do. I replace silver fillings when defects exist. This includes poor margins, gaps, recurrent decay, overhangs, rough or chipped surfaces, or cracks in the teeth.
The bottom line
Should you remove all your silver filings? What’s right for you depends on your specific situation:
- If they aren’t broken, and if you don’t want them removed, then I believe in leaving silver filings alone.
- If they are defective at all, or if you have concern about either having silver in your mouth or about the esthetics of them, I recommend replacing silver filings with tooth-colored composite filings.
- Regardless of if you have and remove or keep existing silver fillings, I do not place new ones.
Let’s talk about your silver filings
Have silver filings and want to discuss your situation? I encourage patients to call my office at 786-542-1071, or visit our website, BarskyDDS.com to request more information or schedule an appointment.
Dr. Todd Barsky | 7600 S. Red Road, Suite 116 |Miami, FL 33143 | 786-542-1071